Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Many the Miles

It's really amazing where the paths in life can take you. A little over a year ago, I had quit my jobs and made the decision to move. My life would be so different right now if I didn't decide what I was doing wasn't what I really wanted for my life. I knew from the time Caley and Chris had come to Korea, that I too wanted to come. But there were lots of things holding me back from what I really wanted to do. When I finally made the decision to come here, I couldn't have been happier. It was really awesome that Danielle and Megan decided that they too wanted an adventure and could be part of this experience with me.

I have officially been in Korea for 5 months. There have been so many ups and downs. Most of the downs have come from the job. But really, I knew what I should expect signing on with a Hagwon. Hagwon's are a business, its more important to make money that see improvements in the children's English language. I have met so many great people and had some really awesome times with these new friends. I've also been fortunate enough to travel to China, twice, to see some old friends from college.

School isn't all that bad. I mean, I love my walk to and from school and the talks and laughs I have with my coworker. And my kinders, Samuel and Brenda. I sometimes get really frustrated with them. But they are smart little kids for being 7 (well, really by our standards they are 6). Brenda translates so much for Dan and I during the day. She is a smart little girl and is pretty respectful. Samuel is a little independent kid. Sometimes he can be a little brat and not do his work, so can Brenda. Usually if one is being bad and not working, the other is really good and going out of their way to do MORE work. I love the hugs they give me everyday and the really awesome days are when they stop what they are doing and give me a massage. Sounds weird, but it isn't. Brenda likes to give hand massages. Samuel usually climbs behind me on the chair and will give me a shoulder massage. He is pretty strong so sometimes he hits me pretty hard. But, he means well. The kids have really changed a lot since I arrived 5 months ago. Iris use to be a really shy girl and every time you talked to her, she would cry. She was usually the only one to not run up and give Dan and I hug. Now she won't let you go and rarely cries!

This past weekend the girls plus Geoff and I all went hiking on Mt. Muduengsan. It was a beautiful fall day and we had a great hike together! On the way down we met this awesome Korean man, who for being older spoke great English. He gave us all these random facts about the mountain and himself. He was 62 years old and for the past 36 years he had been climbing the mountain, everyday. He said he's climbed the mountain over 10,000 times and they call him the Mountain Tiger. He was cool!

The past few Sundays, Meg, Danielle and I have been getting lunch and then going to the DVD bong and watching movies. The DVD bong is where you can rent a movie and you get your own private room to watch it in. The rooms are always very comfortable with a bed and/or couch in it. It's great for a lazy Sunday!

This coming weekend there is an International Community Day in my city. I'm looking forward to it and afterwards we are having a roof top gathering. In 2 weeks is the Gwangju Kimchi Festival as well!

There are so many things to look forward to and I'm excited. I'm so happy to be in Korea. Life here is so comfortable and fun. I can't even begin to imagine how things would be if I didn't decide to come here....

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. It makes me really happy to read posts like this, because it so perfectly sums up why I fell in love with Korea. I can't wait to get back!

    ReplyDelete