Monday, January 3, 2011

A month late

I seem to be losing touch on the whole keeping a blog thing. I was so good at the beginning updating on what was going on here. And now, yet another month has gone by and not a single update from me. I'm not sure if anyone still reads my blog. But I guess, for my own sake of keeping up with memories.. I will update.

The other day as I was walking outside listening to my music, I couldn't help but smile just thinking of all that I have here in Korea. My life right now is wonderful. I can't even put into words how happy I currently am. I was thinking to myself that day how I felt like I was walking taller with more confidence about myself. I can see a change and I'm really happy about that. I decided to take a chance and come to Korea. To get away from the dead end job, the routine of boring life in the small town, and the emptiness of it all. Without realizing it over the past months I've been here, I've grown into a more confident and independent person. I've made new friends, done some pretty awesome/crazy things, and just have been living a happier life. Living abroad is such an awesome thing. No wonder I never want to go home (sorry friends).

This past month I made two separate trips to Seoul. One was purely to go to the Embassy to add pages to my passport. The other time I spent a weekend there. Did some shopping, ate some delicious food and made some memories with good friends. The last time I had been in Seoul was back in May, so it was nice to make a trip there again.

Christmas left just as quickly as it had come. Christmas morning I skyped with the family, which was really nice to talk to them. I then went to Dan's apartment. We made breakfast together, exchanged gifts, watched a Christmas movie and of course, drank some wine. It was a nice morning together. It may not have been a breakfast cooked by Gene, but at least I got to spend the morning with a really good friend. A little later we both made our way downtown to a buffet restaurant called VIPS. We met up with a few friends, including Megan and Danielle for a Christmas dinner. It was a great afternoon spent with of course, wonderful friends that have become my family here in Korea. It was a Christmas complete with snow as well! After dinner drinks and laughs were had at Dan's apartment. We then made our way downtown for another fun filled night.

After Christmas I only had a two day work week, followed by Wednesday-Friday off. Half of Wednesday was spent on my quick Seoul trip. Thursday I woke up feeling like I got hit by a bus. I still made the trek outside to run some errands, in a blizzard. Later I decided to go visit a friend outside of the city in a small town. The blizzard was continuing and I ended up getting snowed in there on Friday as well. Which worked out nice since my sickness had gotten worse instead of better. So my New Years was spent watching movies and hanging out. I saved money and still haven't gotten over this stupid cold!

On Saturday I made my way back to Gwangju and joined a few fine ladies on a trip to Boseong Green Tea Fields to check out the lights Festival. It was a small but fantastic light festival.

A few of my top favorite foods
1. Galbi
2. chamchi bibimbap (tuna and veggies mixed with spicy sauce and rice)
3. jayeuk dapbap
4. chamchi kimchi jjigae (tuna kimchi soup)
5. samguypseol

our little kinders on Christmas Eve

Meg, Tanya and I in the Seoul Tower bathroom

me, Dan and Chen

friends

Christmas dinner with lovely friends

Boseong Light Festival in the Green Tea Fields

family

Megan and I

1 comment:

  1. It kinda sucks to get no comments on a new blog post, so here you go! Sounds like you are taking full advantage of everything Korea has to offer. I am proud of you and I hope you continue to have fun!

    ReplyDelete