Last Wednesday I checked the mail and found my passport (finally) in the mail. I ran inside and booked my flight to Korea, leaving early Friday morning. I did all my last minute packing, visiting family, eating some delicious American food and Thursday evening I was off to the airport! I left from JFK and had a direct flight to Incheon on Korean Air. It was a long and tiring flight, but I got to watch some pretty good movies and get a bit of sleep. I arrived at 4 am and had to stand around for a good 2 hours waiting for the buses to begin running. Luckily I was not alone and made a friend from Las Vegas who was heading to Iksan. I made it to Gwangju around 11ish and met up with my coteacher and his son. They drove me to my new apartment in Naju and helped me carry my luggage to my apartment. They took me out for a quick lunch and brought me back where they left me some notes and then headed out of my way.
My apartment is nice and big, much larger than my shoebox sized apartment from last year! I have 2 enclosed balconies on either side of my apartment. There is a large living room, with a kitchen table (no more eating dinners on my bed, yay!), a desk, and a couch (plus lots of floor space!), a small closest (that is dark and dirty, probably spider infested, gross!), a small bathroom (needs some serious bleaching), a kitchen with a full size fridge, and my small bedroom. I'm pretty excited about my new place, but not so excited about the tons of spiders that guard the hallway.
After arriving on Saturday, I showered and attempted a nap. Just arriving and being alone was making me feel uneasy, so I packed a bag and headed to Gwangju. Gwangju is a 30 minute bus ride from Naju, not bad since last year living in Ilgok it was 45 minute bus ride to the terminal. I headed straight to Danielle's apartment and was greeted with a big hug :) It was a great reunion. We hung out for a bit and then headed downtown. There was a combo going away for Danielle/birthday (for another friend) party dinner with a large group of friends. After enjoying a great meal with some amazing friends we headed off to various drinking spots/bars. It was an incredible night of laughs and hugs from some pretty great friends, definitely met my expectations of my first night back.
Sunday I headed back to my apartment in Naju and pretty much slept all afternoon until the next morning. I guess the 20 some hours of traveling and then staying out until 4 am made me pretty tired :)
Monday I had to go back to Gwangju to get my medical exam completed for my alien card. I remember going last year and it being confusing and annoying. There are so many different buildings to go to for each exam, plus not being able to speak Korean I knew it would be a challenge. Luckily it was only mildly frustrating and I was finished around noon. I headed downtown and went to visit a friend who then took me out for lunch and coffee. After some time in Gwangju, I headed back to my apartment to clean and unpack. I am still searching for some cleaners and bleach, but for the most part my apartment is clean and ready for visitors!
On Tuesday, I had to go back to the hospital to pick up a piece of paper. I spent the afternoon walking around, getting my necklace fixed and being caught in a rain storm. I met up with 2 friends at the restaurant that I missed most, First Nepal. Afterwards I met with another friend for a coffee date. It was of course, another great day seeing friends. I still have today to relax and do nothing. I'm meeting up with a friend in Naju later for dinner and hopefully he'll be able to direct me to the grocery store that I still can't seem to find (I'm beginning to think there isn't one...)
Tomorrow begins my first day of classes at my new school. I'm a little nervous, but also pretty excited. I don't think anything could be as terrible as last years experience teaching. Also, in a week and a half is the first vacation of the year Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving). So, I'll have a 4 day weekend. I'm still not sure what my plans are, but I have been invited to do a few different things, all of which involve beaches :)
Pictures of the apartment are coming soon. I promise
No comments:
Post a Comment