Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Constant state of confusion

I love my new job, I really do. I feel so comfortable at Bannam Middle School. The kids are great, the teachers are great. They talk to me and laugh with me. We play badminton, go for walks, they teach me guitar. Who wouldn't love this job, right? The students sit quietly while I teach and if someone talks their neighbor will usually slap them upside the head. I guess it is easier when there is a total of 39 students in the whole school, but still. At the end of class they bow to me say thank you and I love you. It's great.

Then I go to Geumcheon, don't get me wrong, I'm still very happy... but... When I get there I'm just in a constant state of confusion. I never know if I'll be teaching classes that day for one. I go to class with my lesson plans and worksheets, only to be sent to the back of the room watching my co teacher teach the entire class period. Not a word from me. He teaches in Korean, the kids don't listen to him they just sit playing games, talking, yelling. I just watch in confusion of what is happening. The book he teaches? It has paragraphs in English, you would think he would have them read this.. Nope, just reads certain words and by the time he gets the computer on and the kids quiet he has already wasted 15 minutes. I just, don't understand. But, hey... I'm just the foreign teacher, what do I know? So, 2 classes today that I did not teach. At some point we are suppose to have a teachers workshop, but again, I have no idea when this takes place! Why you ask? Well, the only schedule that was given to me was in Korean, smart right? At least at Bannam they have it neatly typed in ENGLISH. I mean, I know I live in Korea and should learn Korean, but the reality is, I haven't. So, here I am sitting in the teacher's room wondering about this after school conversation class I'm suppose to teach. Is it 7th period or 8th period? I don't know it's not on the board or on my schedule... so I find out it is 8th period (7th and 8th Thursday and Friday). Today I walked up to the room and the room is locked. There are no students, the only students in the hall where the ones going home. I stand there in my state of confusion, I was told 8th period conversation class, where are my students?! I proceed to go to the teacher's room to ask my co teacher, but he is no where to be found. So, I walk back upstairs in hopes that some students show up. Sure enough 2 girls come by and tell me they will get the key. And then my favorite student Sojin and her 2 friends show up. 10 minutes go by and the first 2 girls aren't back. Finally Sojin gets the key and tells me to follow her and we go to class. 5 students out of 18 showed up for my class. Apparently it is completely optional? (news to me!) We had a total of 10 minutes of class left once we got into the classroom. The girls are fun and I enjoyed chatting with them... but I wish things were a bit more clear. It's only been a month though and hopefully soon I'll fall into a routine and actually KNOW what is happening around me. (For the record I am NOT complaining at all... I know how bad things can get here with jobs, I'm thankful that this is not going to be like last year!)

On a completely different note. I finally got my address from my co-teacher.
If you would like to send me some cards or a letter instead of (gasp!) e-mail here is my home address
106 Dong 303 Ho Jugong Apartment
Seongbuk-dong
Naju-city, South Korea 520-755

If you are feeling generous and want to send me a package of goodies please send them to my school (that way it won't get lost or stolen or stuck at the post office for weeks until I can get there when it is open)
Geumcheon Middle School
253-1 Wongok-ri Geumcheon-myeon
Naju-city Jeollanam-do, South Korea
520-824

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, that must be frustrating! My first school was a lot like that. We'd arrive at the required time but sometimes wouldn't find out what classes we were teaching until five minutes before classes started.

    Your first school sounds amazing though! A lot like the second school I worked at.

    ReplyDelete