On Friday October 28th, my middle school students and teachers were headed on a field trip. I was told that I would be desk warming. Upon arriving at school my students were sitting in front of the main entrance listening to the Korean teachers speaking. I tried to go in through the side door, but since there weren't any slippers there I decided to stand behind the students. The principal finished speaking and came over to me and said "Megan, field trip, good experience, want to go?" Uh YES! So, I jumped on the bus with my students and off we went. The first stop was the Agricultural Festival. It was... interesting, as everything in Korea is. My 8th grade girls grabbed my hand and spent the morning talking and walking with me. There are so cute. After wondering around checking out the sites we sat down to watch something happening on the stage. Of course, my Korean is terrible so I was completely lost of what was going on. At one point a man walked over and gave me a bag of Traditional Korean snacks. I guess it pays to be the only foreigner. We continued to sit there and the man with the microphone came over, handed me tomatoes and told me to yell "Nampyeong Phighting!" So, I did. He then went and got eggs, gave them to me and told me to yell "Phighting" again. He then proceeded to say a few of the only English words he knows including "good morning and Barack Obama" After lunch we headed to Hampyeong for the Chrysanthemum festival. I spent this time walking with the female Korean teachers. It was a glorious day surrounded by flowers!
I spent 8 days living in a hotel for teacher Orientation in Gwangju. I learned some useful things, though it would have been more helpful 2 months ago. I also met some really great people who just arrived in Korea. I expected to have Monday afternoon off, but alas, I was driven to school to spend the afternoon there. I went to one class to give a speaking test. My favorite student Won Min asked me why I was there and then told me to get out. I told him that was rude and he said "just kidding. I love you! We both have hollister, couple set. I love you! Last week no Megan, so I cried!" hahaha
Tuesday I was back at my country school. My students were excited to see me and I was told they missed me last week. Walking around the school I couldn't help but have a smile on my face, for many reasons. The obvious that I'm genuinely happy with life, my job, my friends, my family, my Korean teachers. The drive to school (my co-teacher is amazing, she drives me to and from school) is about 30 minutes. Once we are out in the country the roads are lined with Chrysanthemums. It's so beautiful. Once I get to school the doors and windows are always open letting in the fresh air. The best part the hallways and stairs are lined with beautiful mums as well. There's bees flying from flower to flower. You can't help but be happy when you are surrounded by wonderful smelling flowers, fresh air and positive people at work even.
Life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment