When I renewed my contract last year I was in a good place. There were no issues. Sure the teachers kind of ignored me and I wasn't really told much. But that's minor. I taught maybe 11 hours a week and had ample time to do other things (but it had to be done at school). My co-teacher was useless, yes, but he didn't bother me or make me too angry. So, I re-signed. Not knowing what year 2 would have in store for me. I should have known this wouldn't go so smoothly for 2 years. Let's be honest, my track record with schools in this country hasn't been too great (that's being positive. The first school was downright terrible, hell if you will).
3 months into re-signing I find out I had to move. One of the reasons I stayed where I am because the location of my apartment. It was perfect, large sized, close to everything I need in Naju.. only required me to take one bus to my schools or to the Gwangju. My new apartment is fine, but it's costing me a lot to live there. Sometimes 3-4$ just on buses to get to school. It's absurd, that adds up. With going places on the weekend, I could spend about $30 a week in bus fares. There goes $1,500 in bus fares alone for a year.
Then there is my co-teacher. I knew he was useless. He never tells me information about classes, school events and the like. You know, things I can't figure out on my own. But, it was manageable. Until the vacation mishap. I asked about my vacation. I showed my calendar and pointed to the days (which, conveniently for him, my calendar was missing after I came back). He said yes to me. He didn't fill out the information on the computer (he has to do it since it's all in Korean). I wasn't concerned he said yes and never told me anything else.
I was at Angkor Wat and get that dreaded call, "why aren't you at school" I stressed for a few days. The office of education eased my stress and said not to worry things will work out. They didn't expect me to fly home and would help calm the waters at school. My co-teacher (who never actually assists me in class. I teach alone ALWAYS) sent me angry messages. I had been here for a year and half and he seemed to think I "ran away" The most idiotic thing I've heard. As if I'd "run away" after just moving and all that. Come on, think dumbass.
Anyway, I came back to school. I missed graduation week. But of course, when I was on vacation was the first time I heard about graduation week and that I was supposed to be there. My co-teacher came into school one day. Ignored me. Didn't look at me. Say hi to me. Nothing.
Two days later a teacher asked "what's wrong with the English Teacher." I said I didn't know. Her response "we don't know either. Don't worry"
I checked my bank account. Almost $1,000 was missing. I asked my co-teacher. He handed me an 'unsatisfactory performance' report. They docked my pay for not being at school from Feb 4-18th. Bullshit. That means, I was given 5 days vacation out of the 24 I'm entitled to.
I'm hopeful that the Office of Education supervisors can get me the money I deserve. The foreigner working there is on my side and feels I shouldn't be docked pay and that I'm being treated quite unfairly.
But then again.. it's typical, you know. He's at fault 100% but he doesn't want to look bad. The easy way out is blame the foreigner. I can't argue for myself, since I don't speak Korean. These co-teachers know that and if they are jerks they will play that card.
6 months left here. I can do this. Plus this is a cake walk compared to the dragon lady I worked for 2 years ago!
No comments:
Post a Comment