Sunday, March 4, 2012

Naju weekend

This has been an interesting weekend. Friday morning as I headed off to school, I passed an adjosshi (elderly man) near my apartment. I don't really know this man, but I see him everyday at the school. He usually ignores me when I pass him in the school driveway or when I'm in the office. However, when I passed him near my apartment he had a huge (surprised) smile on his face. I bowed to him, said hello and continued on my way.

Saturday morning I was hungry for eggs so I ran out to the 24 hour store near my place. I usually see a man there who on the street will smile and say hi to me. It was a lady this time and despite having seen her many times there today she felt like talking to me. She proceeded to ask if I was an English teacher and I replied that I was and what school (in my very basic knowledge of Korean). A few hours later as I was leaving my apartment to head to Gwangju, I passed 3 men sitting outside the convenient store near my place. I smiled at them and one of the man waved and started talking to me. I took out my headphones to hear what he had to say. He immediately grabbed my hand and shook it after I bowed to them. He just stood there holding my hand talking to me or the men he was with, after awkwardly putting my hand against his face he let me leave. I bowed to them and not sure what he should do he threw his hand in the air to say hello again. It made me laugh even though it was a bit strange. I've been here for 6 months and this is the most that random Koreans have talked to me, especially in one day!

Today was market day. I love market day. It's always fun to just walk around, checking out all the different kinds of fish or seeing the many different kinds of kimchied things. It was a dreary day, but I attempted to get some pictures at the market. As I was heading there a few children noticed that I was a foreigner. One, still in his pajamas, began pointing and jumping up and down exclaiming "waygooken, waygooken" until his friends arrived. I'm sure I'm not the first foreigner he's seen, but he was excited nonetheless.

different types of kimchi

No comments:

Post a Comment