Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Comfort zone

Well folks, my year contract at Geumcheon Middle School will be coming to an end in a mere 4 months. I honestly can't believe how fast the year has gone. I've been in Korea for almost 2 years (actually the 2 year anniversary of me arriving in Korea was on May 5th), that's absurd and awesome. I've come along way in my 2 years in Korea. I'm getting use to the way Koreans work, the school system, my students behaviors. It's nothing new to me anymore, I go with the flow, nod my head when they talk to me and smile. The stupid little things don't phase me anymore. I go to class and no one shows up, oh well, back to that TV show. I go to school and find out they have sports day or mid terms and there's no classes, guess I'll just sit on the bench and read a book. I'm not surprised by what goes on anymore. I'm not concerned or nervous about what the day might bring. I know to just smile and teach a class, play a game or do nothing all day. You might be thinking, that's great Megan that you feel so comfortable in your new home. It is great and I'm really happy, don't get me wrong.

But, didn't I come to Korea for a new adventure? Wasn't my purpose to step out of my comfort zone and be challenged with language barriers and getting lost? I've realized how comfortable I've gotten in Korea. How much this place has become my home. It's so familar now. I'm use to the random people or kids coming to say hi or pointing and laughing at me. I'm use to hearing my name in the teacher's room and seeing all the teacher's stare at me while they talk openly about me without translating it. I have my Gwangju family, those friends that I have been through so much with. The more I think about it the more I know it's almost time to move on. There's new countries waiting to be explored by me. New adventures, challenges and hurdles for me to overcome.

I'm not ready just yet to dive back into the unfamilar. I still feel like I haven't accomplished what I want to here. There are more countries I want to check off my list. Plus the pay, benefits and opportunities to travel in Korea are so worh it.

With that being said, I'm happy to announce that I've officially decided to renew my contract which will end (for good) September 2013. Though my goal is to leave March/April of 2013 and move on to bigger and better things. As the time gets closer I'll decide what is best for me financially. I'm not sure where my next move will be to, there are so many options all over the world.

There are things about Korea that I just love. Yesterday I walked into my 2nd grade class at the country school and the girls saw that I was wearing a dress. The immediately started singing 'you are so beautiful' song to me. And then the continued complimenting me. It made me happier for the rest of the day. They are so sweet and wonderful. Today I walked into the office of the main school and one of the Korean teacher's saw me and said "oh, beautiful!" Then all of the teacher's turned to look at me and agreed. In the lunch line the high school English teacher began complimenting me as well, apparently the pig tail braids where a good idea (and only done because I was running late and it was easier!).

Life is good. I miss everyone at home though!

No comments:

Post a Comment