Sometimes I have a lot of stories and things to share and I think to myself, I should go home and write in my blog. But then I get home and I don't... and then I forget the stories I wanted to share. I'll do my best to recount what I really wanted to share.
The other night I was walking home, I was close to my apartment building. I noticed my student in front of me, but I didn't want to scare her, so I just kept walking. She was going to her academy, which happens to be next to my building. Sometimes the boy students at this academy yell out the window at me. The ask me how I am, just say hi, tell me I'm beautiful, anything to say a few words in English. I usually entertain them and talk to them. A few boys started talking to me and my student turned to say hi. The boys began saying she was crazy and ugly. I said "she's very smart and pretty." "Bye!" they yelled and went back to class. In the distance I heard a repeat "bye" from some little voices. I noticed a few kids at the playground, but continued walking to my place. Soon enough I heard the light steps of someone close behind me. I turned to see 5 little boys, they kept a distance from me. I said hi and they all ran up to me. "I'm CRAZY!" one yelled. "I'm crazy!" a second boy yelled. "you're crazy. too? Oh my!" I said. "Hey! Crazy 3" boy one yelled while pointing at another kid. "How are you?" I asked, knowing that these kids did NOT know English. There was lots of giggling as they ran away. I walked into my building and up the stairs. As I looked out the windows on the 2nd floor landing I noticed the little boys trying to figure out what building I walked into. I quickly went into my apartment, I do not want knocks on my door from random children.
My main school is sometimes very frustrating. But on Thursday and Fridays it always makes me smile when I'm about to leave, not only because its the end of the day though. Most of my students go to academy. Several go to the academy next to my building. Several go to a math/English academy near the bus terminal. The bus driver at this academy has been giving me a ride home since I started at this school. At first it was hit or miss. But then it became regular, I moved from the back of the van to the front seat. Recently I began noticing that although all of the students are in the van, he's still waiting. He waits until I walk out and jump in the van before he leaves. "Megan, odeo?" (that's my phonetic spelling of the Korean term meaning, where are you going?) "Seongbuk?" "Yes" I reply and he drives me straight to my apartment. He doesn't have to. I've never asked him to, he does it because he wants to and that means a lot to me. At first I used to walk by the van and he'd wave and say "bus bad!" Now, I just hop in. I know that he is waiting to give me a ride.
In other news, I'm hosting a large Thanksgiving party in 23 days. I'm really excited. So far, 13 people have RSVPed. There's a chance close to 18 people will be at my house. A giant potluck Thanksgiving. I believe that this year will be better than last years. Though last year I had great food and company (Alushia and I), but to be with several close friends with lots of different dishes... yeah it'll be good. I just hope my kitchen light will be fixed by then and the bathroom sink. I'm not holding my breath for both. My co-teacher is kind of useless.
Also, it's only November 1st and it's already REALLY cold. I turned the ondol (floor heat) on last night. I went to bed early just so I could be curled up until lots of blankets. I'm not okay with this. I can't wait for January. I want to be lying on the beaches of Thailand or Bali. Or both.
No comments:
Post a Comment