Sometimes my students are really frustrating and I try to yell at them, but then there's those certain students who say ridiculous things and I have to do the best I can to get some order/respect in the class. You know the ones, the kids that are really good at pushing your buttons and when you're ready to yell, they turn on the sweetness and say something to make you laugh. Happens a lot to me.
I've learned that keeping my students 5 minutes after class is a good punishment. My first graders start to sweat with nervousness, because they know if they are late to the next class they will be in big trouble. For one, being late and then they will have to explain why the are late. It's great. Since my co-teacher fails to show up to my class (even though he's technically REQUIRED to be there), I have to find ways to motivate, translate and keep control of a very immature group of kids. It's challenging, but I think I'm doing a darn good job. It's funny to watch them stare at the clock, begging me to let them go. "Megan, sorry. Really sorry. Please, go?" Then I have to explain, how they are rude and disrespectful. I know they don't treat the other teachers this way. Why me? I started threatening my 2nd and 3rd graders with holding them late. It's worse for them, both of their classes are right before lunch. No one wants to be late for lunch. It's completely an empty threat. I don't want to be late either! HA!
On Friday all I had to do was stop, point at the board where it said 12:25 in big red letters and wait. The top students took over control of the class. Made everyone be quiet. It was phenomenal. One student, the bad one kept talking. His classmates made him stand in the front of the room with his arms in the air. Having the students manage themselves is awesome.
My co-teacher asked me to give speaking tests to certain kids in each grade. There is an English speaking contest in 2 weeks. Every school has the book from which the questions will be asked. Do you think my students have looked it over? Do you think my co-teacher has worked with them? No. No to it all. He doesn't care. Basically, he's setting them up for failure. He knows our kids won't win. Why put in the extra effort? This angers me. I have so much free time, why, WHY have I not been asked to work with these kids? I was told to take the book and pick the best student from each grade. The book is about Naju, where they live. They couldn't answer any question. I knew they wouldn't be able to, my co-teacher was less than interested. I was so frustrated attempting to ask my 7th graders questions. I threw my hands in the air, "I don't know. I just... I don't... what.. ugh" That's basically what I kept saying... and then there's little DaeMin. "Megan teacher, just...relax. Relax. Ok?" He says this all the time (sometimes he throws in "Shake a leg, Megan!". And then puts his hands in heart form and says "I love you!" Yeah kid.. stop being cute and annoying.
Today I'm at my country school. The students have to do so many hours of volunteer work. Today we went on a walk to pick up garbage. We went last week too. I enjoy going to get out of the building and to talk to the kids. GiSue, one of my 9th graders, really loves talking to me. She was very happy today because she passed the first part of her application to high school. Tomorrow is her interview. She's a really sweet girl. She has low confidence in herself and thinks she is fat and ugly. My students ask me a lot if I think they are beautiful/handsome/cute. I always say yes. Koreans are pretty damn honest, even to kids. "You're fat. You're ugly" Doesn't matter who it's to, they'll say it. I make sure to encourage these kids, they need to hear it more often. Anyway, so I kept telling GiSue that she will do great tomorrow and just go in confident. "Megan, you're so kind. Really, so kind" she said. Soon, 2 8th graders came up. "Oh Megan, why does she get all of your love?!" they said. It made me giggle.
I finally, FINALLY have a Korean tutor. A girl who lives near me chased me down one day to ask if I'd teach her English in exchange, she is teaching me Korean. She's really sweet and I'm excited that I have a new friend in Naju!
A few weeks ago, my friend and I went to make cucumber kimchi. In our group were 2 twin girls, 14 years old and their mother who assisted us. One was shy and the other very outgoing. Their English was near perfect and they never once went to academy. They just watch American tv shows and learn. I really liked them. They were sweet. The outgoing girl, Eun Seo, took my phone number. Sometimes she sends me texts if she needs help with homework or wants to know when we can meet up. On Saturday she came to the International Community Day to meet up with me. She couldn't stay long, but she was so happy to see me. Her face lit up and she gave me a big hug. She was sad that she only had a few minutes to say hello, but she stood there holding my hand, not wanting to leave. It was the most adorable thing, ever. Her mom made my friend and I organic soap, too. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment