Friday, February 22, 2013

Cambodia and a funeral

The second part of my vacation through South East Asia was Cambodia. Originally I had planned to go to Laos, as I was told it was a safer place. But since I was in Ho Chi Minh (Saigon). It was easier and closer to head to Cambodia.

I got an early bus from Vietnam to Phnom Penh. I was really nervous to go to Cambodia, friends had told me it wasn't very safe there. I wasn't sure what to expect. But while on a day trip, I met these two really nice ladies. They were teaching at an orphanage in Cambodia and talked highly of the country. Then an older couple joined us and started going on about how Cambodia was their favorite country. This made me feel reassured and excited to check it out!

Beef fried noodles and a strawberry smoothie
It was a little over a 5 hour ride to Cambodia. We had to stop at the border and apply for visas, but the bus company has someone on board to do all the work. It was a really easy and quick process. We (I say 'we' because I was with another girl. more on her later). arrived to Phnom Penh, were dropped on the side of the road and immediately bombarded with tuk tuk drivers. Feeling overwhelmed and not wanting to be taken advantage I walked away from them. An older gentleman asked where I was headed and I told him, turns out he was going to the same place. We argued for a decent price on the tuk tuk ride, a dollar each. Not a lot to us, but that was 12,000 riels for him, a very pricey ride! We still had to walk about 10 minutes to the hostel anyway because the road was closed.

I traveled in Vietnam with two girls, the one girl, Kat, joined me to Cambodia. It was really challenging. She is kind of a strange girl, doesn't really know how to act around people, very nervous acting and really has no personality. Not a great travel partner.

Temple
Chicken Fried Rice 
Anyway, we were pre-warned in Vietnam, the week we were going to be in Cambodia was the week of the king's burial! All the roads near where I stayed were blocked off and there was tons of police and military guarding the streets. Huge groups of people were gathering everywhere. Monday was the official burial day, in Phnom Penh. So pretty much everything was closed. We got an awesome firework show and could walk around the city, but do little else. I didn't even get to see the palace! But it was cool to be in the city while this important part of their history was taking place. There were families having picnics everywhere, watching the broadcast of the celebrations/the kings life.

Clock in Phnom Penh
Next we were off to Siem Reap, which meant another 5 hour bus ride. This ride was very hot and uncomfortable, in a "mini bus". The hostel that I booked had free pick ups from the bus terminal or airport. So, I had a friendly man waiting at the bus stop holding a sign with my name on it. The hostel was pretty amazing. Run by two foreigners, incorporating everything in this building that backpackers need and extras for us to enjoy. Like a swimming pool, reading rooms, tv rooms, massages, yoga, a bar and cafe. It was a really awesome place. One of the best places I've ever stayed at!

Angkor Wat
As soon as I got settled in the room I met a really nice girl named Lucy. Lucy ended up hanging out with me the rest of the week. Which was awesome to have someone to chat with! Wednesday we were up bright and early for a trip to Angkor Wat. I purchased the 3 day pass in hopes that I would get to see as much as possible. We were walking around in the heat from 10 am until 7 pm. Longest day ever. Lots of climbing steep stairs. We even stayed to watch the sunset, which was overly talked about and not that impressive. But Angkor Wat is pretty amazing to see in person.

Angkor Wat
Angkor Wat
Bayon Tree
Thursday I considered a late afternoon trip to Angkor Wat, but exhaustion had caught up with me from the last week and a half. So instead of going out in the terrible heat, I read and napped... preparing myself for another week of travels. I did enjoy a fantastic lunch at this cute little restaurant. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was started by a Swiss couple. They hire orphans and teach them new skills to help them in the future. All of these orphans were being kicked out of the system because of age. They have housing, have classes, do all the cooking, cleaning and serving at this restaurant. It's really cool and the food is delicious! Friday we went back to Angkor Wat to watch the sunrise... and guess what... cloudy morning. Ha! Just my luck. The day was spent with some new friends wandering the streets. Later in the evening we all had dinner together, because the next day we were parting ways (but really, EVERYONE was headed to Bangkok).

Angkor Wat Sunrise
Meeting other travelers in hostels is one of the best things about traveling. It's amazing that if you are on a long trip how you can run into the same people each place you go. But also how quickly you can fall into conversation with them, like you've been friends all along. Sometimes you just need someone to relate to and people are so much more open to friendships when you are all traveling.

another delicious meal
I love Siem Reap and would 100% go back. It was nothing like I expected. I was expecting a dirty, run down country where I would feel completely unsafe. But as soon as I arrived I met friendly people and was surprised by the beauty of the country. You really can't judge a place until you see if for yourself. Everyone has their own opinion of places. Several friends have told me Bangkok is a dirty and terrible place. But I saw nothing but friendly people and the beauty of it. I guess it depends where you go. If you stay in the 'backpacker' area you're never going to be able to fully enjoy the country. I'm so thankful to my friends for showing me the REAL Bangkok.

No comments:

Post a Comment