Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Vacation Part 1: Thailand and High School Reunion

Thailand was the last stop of my vacation through South East Asia and the part I was looking forward to most. Unfortunately I was stressing out quite a bit. While in Cambodia at Angkor Wat (great timing!) I got a phone call. Apparently my "approved" vacation was just a yes to blow me off. My co-teacher failed to inform me about graduation week. I've said it before, the man is USELESS.

I arrived to Thailand by a short 55 minute flight from Siem Reap. I could have chosen the cheaper way by doing a taxi to the border and then a 15 hour train ride. But I've had enough long rides, I just wanted to arrive. After walking out into the airport I waited around for a short period of time before I was greeted with a big smile and a "HI MEGAN!!" Pat and Kan had come to the airport to pick me up. I was so excited to see them again. It had been 9 years since I last saw them, after graduating high school.

Kan, Pat and I at the Palace.. and my sweet getup to be appropriate
Kan drove his car to pick me up, I met his girlfriend Khem and the four of us were off. They first drove me to my hostel and where I checked in. Then we were off for the day. First we went for food. They ordered a bunch of random things for me to try everything. We ate and enjoyed great conversations.

Afterwards they took me to the palace. It was really hot and I had to wear a bright pink shirt and wrap because my dress was too short and the sleeves weren't long enough. The palace was beautiful but it was the hottest day, EVER. And to think it's Thailands "cool season" yeah, right. We walked around the whole palace. It was really beautiful, finally we decided it was too hot and moved on. As I was walking back past the tourist police officer, he gave a little chuckle at my silly outfit.

Next we went to Wat Pho. One of the more famous temples. Also really beautiful. Thai temples are really gorgeous and beautifully decorated. We finally were off to an air conditioned place, the mall. We didn't shop, but we did sit and snack on some sweet treats. Immediately after, we went to dinner. Operation eat everything on day 1: success.

Wat Pho
Pat and I went to a few shops and then she had her mom pick us up and drive me back to my hostel. It was a really great reunion.

Khem and I at the palace
Sunday I woke up late and took my time getting around. Sunday morning was spent with Pat and her mom. We had a delicious lunch of food from Northern Thailand. We spent a nice day together and then met up with Kan and Khem for one last dinner together. It was a really great, but short two days with old friends. I'm happy that I've stayed in contact with them these past 9 years.

Part of the Palace 
Mara and Katie finally made it to Thailand to meet me and I was really excited to see them! Monday morning we were off bright and early for a trip to Koh Chang, an island 5 hours from Bangkok (well, 5 hours, an hour ferry ride and an hour taxi ride). The bus ride was not bad. We were supposed to be picked up and taken to the ferry. We were picked up and driven to an undisclosed 'holding cell' (and by that I mean out in the middle of nowhere place with not very friendly people changing our tickets. They kept us there for about an hour. A german lady fought them and they took her back to the main ferry (which turns out was MUCH faster and shorter than our location. Finally, the took us to the ferry and we were off. An hour later we got to land and met a very sketchy/mean taxi driver. We didn't want to get in the taxi, but had no choice. He drove us about two minutes and then stopped. Holding cell number 2? We weren't too sure. Finally lovely Katie yells at to the head honcho... "Hey brother, what's going on" "Wait, ferry. More people"  OH yeah.. more money. It's cool we haven't been traveling for 12 hours.

We finally arrived to our destination and after 5 minutes turned our 3 day stay into a week long one. Our room was the 'family room' pretty much next to the cafe area. Two big beds, air con, fridge, nice bathroom. It was a good choice.

the ladies at our cottages cafe... sweet view and hammocks
We were exhausted and went to the bed early, by early I mean like 8 pm. Around 1:30 am I woke up to use the bathroom. I saw something scurry... I froze. I looked again "oh man. a cockroach!" I quietly said, in hopes that the girls would wake up and save me. I quickly shut the door and waited... Okay... try again.. It starts running down the wall. "Oh god, it's a cockroach the size of a dog!"

Mara wakes up "aw man, really? I have to pee though" She stands at the door, hopping up and down. "Don't open the door, it'll escape!" I said. We both stared at the door... Now what? Katie half wakes up "guys, it's just a cockroach! We have them in our house all the time. They are like, the cleanest bugs. It's okay" Okay, Ms. South Africa. "But Katie, it's the size of a dog!" I said. "Fine, do you want me to kill it?" Mara and I both yell.. YES! Katie jumps up, flings open the bathroom door. "Holy crap! That IS the size of a dog!" She walks over and grabs her hiking boots. Casually walks back to the bathroom, "you know these things can fly". Really Katie, just fuel the fire more. She walks into the bathroom, one swing. Not dead its still moving. Another few blows and the thing is dead. Relief. She throws the shoe down. "You guys deal with that!" and she crawls back in bed. Mara, jumps into the bathroom, cleans the bug up and then heads back to bed. I go to use the bathroom... "Oh and please remove my shoes from the killing fields." Katie adds.. No problem, Katie.

We go to sleep. I have visions of more cockroaches coming into the room. We wake up at the same time. "Hey guys, can we just talk about what happened last night" As we all start giggling and naming our dead enemy, Samuel.

green curry. DELICIOUS
The rest of the week proved to be a good time. Wake up late, eat, lay on the beach, get a massage on the beach, eat, walk, shower, eat, go to bed. Repeat.

We were talked into going on a boat for 3 hours. Somehow this didn't register to us as a TERRIBLE idea. We agreed. 3 hours on a boat squid fishing. We must have been half asleep when we said yes. A 3 hour tour didn't work out so well for Gilligan and Skipper, why would it for us? And squid fishing. We all HATE fishing and squid... EVEN WORSE. It was a terrible 3 hours. But out of it came a few friends. We met this really great family, who we would end up talking to all week and even see at a rest stop on the way to Bangkok. Never again will I squid fish (technically I just watched.)


Valentine's Day with Mara and Katie

Ginger and honey roasted duck... AMAZINGLY GOOD

the last sunset on Koh Chang
 
 Before heading to the airport, I ate mango sticky rice. BEST THING EVER. Too bad I only ate it for the first time before I left the country. Silly decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment