What's filled with the fragrance of nature, you ask? Well, Damyang Bamboo Forest of course! On Saturday I headed to U Square bright and early to meet up with the girls (and by bright and early, I mean 9:30). We planned on heading to Damyang to check out the Bamboo Forest. We bought our bus ticket, which cost us a whole $2, awesome! We were headed about 40 mins outside of Gwangju. Once we got off the bus we weren't exactly sure of where to go next, we were hoping it wasn't another experience like we had in Gamami (a deserted bus stop).... Danielle and I asked a shopkeeper for assistance and a friendly bus driver took us to the taxi stand and told the driver where we wanted to go. Turns out it was less than 2 minutes away, also another cheap ride. We bought our tickets into the forest, another $2. First we took pictures of the very tacky panda statues they had at the beginning. I don't understand Koreans though process, but I'll just let it go.
We headed into the beautiful forest for a few hours. The bamboo trees were so cool and it was a perfect day to spend in nature! It wasn't incredibly hot and humid, it was the best weather. On the walk through the forest they had soft music playing. Again, I don't understand why. I would much rather listen to the sounds of nature.... Either way, I had a great time with Kelsey, Bess and Danielle in the forest. Eventually, we made our way in the Culture experience village. A couple was in a pagoda making fans, which was pretty cool. Danielle bought a plain fan, you may be asking whats so special about that... Well, there was a man who painted the fan for you, if you wanted. So, we headed up to his little house. It was really awkward at first, we don't speak Korean and we didn't want to just walk into his "house" and throw a fan at him. He noticed Danielle and invited her in and then told the rest of us to join them. It was a traditional little place, complete with a stereo and tv. He was an awesome guy. Turns out he knew a little bit of English. He told us interesting things, like how the paintings in his place were from 1929. He also showed us his pen and said it was from when he was in the armed forces. He began painting and it was one of the coolest experiences/things to watch! After the painting ended, he told us to sit in front of the old paintings, grabbed his camera and snapped a picture of us. Off we went, to do more exploring of the bamboo forest. We were all getting very hungry and decided we spent a sufficient amount of time in the forest.
We walked across the road from the forest and decided we should rent bikes. There were some fun bikes with baskets on them, pink, green, blues. When in Korea, do as the Koreans do! So, we crossed the rock bridge to the other side of "river" and rented the 4 person bike. It was an enjoyable bike ride we had, playing "chicken" with the Koreans, laughing and talking.
After our bike ride together we jumped on the bus back to Gwangju. We decided we should get lunch/dinner and chose VIPS which is an all you can eat buffet. It was a bit pricey, but the had salads with olives (which I've been craving), plus soups, delicious fruits and much more. We spent a good 2 hours there and I think the waiters were getting a bit annoyed. But hey, we had fun!
I headed home, exhausted from our day of fun in the sun/woods! I wasn't in the mood for a night out, so instead I watched a movie and read. It was a great night!
On Sunday I awoke to the sounds of rain falling outside my window. It was a great thing to wake up to and also meant that I should stay in bed extra long and read :) Rainy days are wonderful (unless of course, you get stuck walking to school without an umbrella, happened today). I read most of Sunday before heading to Danielle's. Bess and Kelsey made their way over too. Kelsey made chili for dinner and then we baked cupcakes and made a whipped topping for them. We ate while watching Spaceballs together. Again, another fabulous time and a great way to end out the weekend.
So began the start of a VERY long next 2 weeks. The week so far hasn't been too bad at all. Not sure what's going on right now, but boss lady is being kind of nice to me. Shocking I know. This weekend is our school's summer camp. We are headed to a water park. I don't really know much details at all. Saturday we have to lead games for the kids (Danielle will be there with her school as well). Dan and I were given the option to come home Saturday evening and have Sunday off. Instead we chose to stay at the resort, the downfall is that we have to sleep in the room with the children. But, Sunday we get to enjoy the waterpark!! I'm really excited to hang out on the lazy river, play in the wave pool and check out the water slides. I miss being in a pool!!
I'm sure I'll be super exhausted after the weekend and then I'll have another long week with the kids. I don't know what the plan is yet for Danielle's birthday weekend, but the following weekend I'm off to Hong Kong! I have a busy couple of weeks and I'm really excited.
Life is good :)













No comments:
Post a Comment