My summer vacation is coming up at the end of July. It's been hard to figure out where I should visit. I only have 4 days and my friend have off a different time than me. So, planning a vacation with friends here was out of the question. I thought about Beijing, of course there are pros to going there like seeing Rika (a friend from Lock Haven who lives there) and cons, like the uber expensive visa for American citizens ($200 comparing to $90 for every other country). The other option was Hong Kong, no visa requirement and I get to see Cristina (another friend from Lock Haven, who is from Spain). It was a tough choice, but I ended up choosing Hong Kong. Danielle said she would like to go there as well, so I figured we could try going in the Spring, when we have more money saved up for the visa and such. I wasn't doing very much planning for this mini vacation and I knew July was slowly creeping up on me. I sent several messages back and forth to my friend Cristina who is currently working in Hong Kong. She was really excited to hear I was looking at flights to come visit. Finally, I found some cheap flights that would allow me to spend a sufficient amount of time in Hong Kong... and I booked the flight. July 31st until August 3rd I will be visiting the city and Cristina. It will be so nice to see her again, it's been about 2 years! I'm really excited for the trip to come up and it's helping me to get through these long weeks.
The other thing that is helping me get through the weeks, which I've previously mentioned...is the shark diving excursion! We are hoping to do that the weekend before I head off to Hong Kong! woohoo.
Last week was a normal one at school. I think we (as in my coworkers and I) would be much happier if our boss backed off a lot more. It's really hard to describe the woman, other than she clearly hates my co teacher and I for no particular reason, other than we are females? She LOVES my coworker Dan. Today she was saying how she didn't like the one classes test last month, on and on until Dan said, oh yeah sorry I made that. She immediately stopped bashing it. Last week I went out for dinner with Dan and our Korean co teacher Rose, twice. Dan bought us pizza the one evening and then I treated them to some Korean meal on Thursday. It's nice to have dinner with them :)
Finally, Friday rolled around. Unfortunately for me, it was a frustrating day. Really, it gets bad by the end of the day. My last class is 12 and 13 year olds. They are incredibly rude and bitchy kids. They don't listen, they don't care, they flick me off, they refuse to do their work. The list goes on. I basically am teaching myself English. It was uber frustrating, which is why I got a beer home and drank it on the walk home. Don't judge, it was necessary.
Friday nights are usually relaxing nights in for me. I like to unwind from the week and just hang out by myself. Yeah, it would be nice to hang out with friends some nights. But I save so much money just staying in and avoiding 2 nights out with taxi fees. Plus, I enjoy waking up on Saturday with energy to do things. Saturday afternoon-ish I headed to Danielle's place to get ready for our 4th of July partay. We picked up a few things, blew up balloons so people knew where her place was (which kids promptly popped), and hung out talking. We had a small group over earlier for dinner. I made galbi meat and then cooked up some of Danielle's peppers. Kelsey and her friends brought some pizza. We had a nice little arrangement of food. It was delicious and great to hang out with new friends! Some people slowly started arriving after 9 pm. We couldn't wait to set off our firework purchases. I had bought heart shaped sparklers and Danielle bought a bunch of other things. It was nothing like the fireworks we've seen at home. But it was still our own fun in Korea with friends, that's all we've got anyway. After getting eaten alive for a few hours, we headed inside to watch the Germany vs Argentina match! So exciting!
On Sunday, I headed back to Danielle's around 11 ish. She unfortunately got bit by a mosquito on her eye. So I went over to share some benadryl with her. Kelsey, Bess and friends headed over to meet up with us so we could go for brunch together. We went to this cute place called Blank. Everyone had delicious looking meals. I ordered the spanish omelet and I wasn't really happy with the choice after I saw what everyone else got. haha. I really wanted the stuffed french toast, but it had fruit on it and since I'm allergic to certain fruits, I avoided that choice. I was excited for the chocolate pudding they had advertised on the window, which of course was shot down when the guy said no they didn't have it. boo!
Tonight I bought myself peanut butter. It was time for me to have that back in my life. I put off buying it because I'm very picky when it comes to peanut butter. Choosy moms choose JIF, you know. I saw Skippy on the shelf tonight and couldn't pass it up again. It'll do for the year.





Hey there! I'm curious about the Blank Cafe, since I've seen it mentioned a few times before. Do you happen to know where it is in Gwangju? I'm interested in going there sometime and trying it out. Thanks!
ReplyDelete