This past weekend was Little America's Summer Camp. The kids were all really excited last week for it. Danielle, Dan and I on the other hand, were not as excited. We got on the bus on Saturday around 2 ish. Off we went to the water park that was about an hour away. We pulled up and the place looked gorgeous. It was this big hotel with a water park on a river with beautiful mountains in the background. Under other circumstances it would have been the most perfect and relaxing weekend. In our case, it was not.
The mayhem began with room assignments. 2 days before Camp started I was given a list of kids to look after and what not. Of course, they were all boys, 9 boys to be exact. Dan was given 12 of the "bad" kids (which is funny, because ALL of our kids are bad, compared to Danielle's kids). So we lined our kids up and headed to the rooms. Dan and I were lead to a room and all of our children filed in... I was told I would be sleeping in this room too. Brilliant idea right? Did I mention there were 85 Korean children in all and 6 rooms.... So, then my boss picks out several younger annoying boys and tells me to come along. We were lead to another room, that was smaller. And then a bunch of girls walked in. At this point there were 20 boys and girls in a VERY small room. The boys decided to take the room and the girls got the "living room" area. Since there were no beds only mats and blankets, I swiped my pillow, blanket and mat and claimed my spot. My boss walked in and said "Megan, okay?" NO I was not okay with what was happening. Did I have a choice? No. Thankfully several girls were moved to a different room. Which left me with 17 kids and luckily only 1 pooped themselves. It was nice that the older girls helped get the boys situated and put to bed, I surely wasn't handling that.
The 3 of us lead several games and the kids had a lot of fun, which was good for me cause now my boss is happy with my game ideas. The explanation of games went really well too. Mainly because of Danielle's great co teacher Rosemary! (Seriously, Danielle has it REALLY great at her school). The meals at this resort were not very good, rice, kimchi (for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and some other things. We again, were not very excited for that.
Bed time was about 10 pm. Danielle, Dan and I hung out in the hall while the kids got situated and then ended up taking a walk and hanging out together outside talking and getting our "down time" We probably heading back in after midnight, none of us got any sleep though. The floor was very uncomfortable and by 5 am all of the younger kids were awake and very loud!
We headed to the pool around 10ish. We hit up some slides and the not so lazy river that had a wave pool thing and waterfalls. It was so much fun! The one water slide was called the tornado, it was a lot of fun to ride. We took Dan's favorite student on the slides with us. A lot of the younger kids would ask us to play with them, but we were limited on the pools we could go in. We wanted to play in the wave pool, but that required you to wear a cap and we weren't going to buy one of them! So we stuck to the places were a cap was not needed. We took a few different kids on slides with us and then escaped to a place in the pool area for a nap. It was a really long day and we were ready to go home after 2 hours of being there.
Monday was hard to go back to teaching. Everyone who went to summer camp was extremely exhausted. I still felt tired today!
In other news, I got my multiple entry sticker today. So now I can leave Korea and come back without problems... 11 days until Hong Kong!





No comments:
Post a Comment