The beginning of 2012 started off much different than previous years, with a 3 week adventure through Singapore and Malaysia. I love traveling. I can't get enough of it. When I think of the future and the possibility of moving home, I remember the little possibility to explore foreign lands. Traveling, exploring, meeting new people, being faced with new challenges... it's so exciting. I don't want to be stuck where I don't have the opportunity to go somewhere new (okay, I haven't been to every state yet.. but that's not foreign!) I've seen pictures here and there from my friends' adventures during winter break and I can't wait to have the opportunity to go there. To explore those places, see those sites, try those foods.... there's so many places left!!
There's so many things I love about traveling, even traveling alone. While it does get lonely and sometimes places are best experienced with good friends, it's still really awesome to BE THERE! On my way to Singapore I met a really awesome family. The man, his wife and 3 daughters were traveling home from China. We talked almost the entire way from Shanghai to Singapore. He was so helpful and kind. Giving me ideas of places to go, what to do, or not do. I really enjoy meeting new people when I'm traveling. I love to hear about their travels or whatever stories they want to share with me. It makes me smile. It makes me appreciate their country more. It makes me appreciate people more. I'm always surprised with the kindness of strangers when I'm traveling. Without asking for help, someone always manages to step up and help me without me asking and I really appreciate that.
My week in Singapore was really nice. The weather was phenemonal, sometimes a little too hot (I would LOVE that heat now so my fingers weren't frozen). The hostel I stayed at was okay. The staff was super friendly and helpful when I needed some information, but as far as the other people staying there.... They didn't seem very interested in hanging out, which is why I spent the week alone without making friends there. Too bad!
Anyway, my first full day in Singapore I was so excited to see the sun that I grabbed my book, my music and headed to the Chinese Gardens. I spent the afternoon just relaxing in the sun, reading. It was glorious. No computer, no kids, no Korean, just me and the green landscape. I was told to eat at food courts for cheaper (yet delicious) food. So, when I wasn't relaxing and reading I was in search of good eats. I spent 2 days on Sentosa Island at the beach. It's gorgeous there. The island has a lot of touristy things, like Universal studies and such. The beach was really clean and the water was inviting. Sentosa Island is also where the Southern Most Point of Continental Asia is :)
I went to the Bird Park, the Zoo and did the Night Safari at the zoo (which left me completely unimpressed). When I didn't know what to do I would pick a stop on the subway, get off and just walk. Or I would find a bench, to sit and read and just enjoy life. I indulged in foods that I can't get in Korea, like ruffles chips, ham, cheese and avocado wraps, prezel m&ms.
While in Singapore I was overly cautious of what I was doing. I wasn't entirely sure of all the rules of Singapore, but I knew that it was known as the "Fine City" for a reason. There's a long list of things you could get a fine for and they aren't cheap! It was a great week in Singapore and I really loved it there.
Elephant statues
hanging out in the Chinese Gardens
the beach!
I really like this blog. Definitely the truth about travel!!!
ReplyDelete