Sunday, May 9, 2010

Adventure Saturday

So, Saturday was my adventure day. I did some cleaning in the morning and was talking to some new friends about how we were going to meet up. It's pretty difficult to figure out how to get from one end of the city to another.. but luckily we figured it out. Danielle, Kelsey and Bess arrived in the afternoon and we made a trip to Home Plus. I got a few necessities for my place. After we got back we took got a cab back to Little America, where Danielle lives. We got to her place and hung out for a bit. Kelsey, Danielle and I decided to get a snack of dumplings and kimbap. Delicious! We were going to meet up again a few hours later, so I just stayed at Danielle's (I live about 15 minutes taxi ride from them). I did a little Zumba in her room, I'm in withdrawl!

Kelsey and Bess showed up and we hoped on the bus to head downtown. The bus was super crowded, but we made it downtown. We walked around a little and then headed to First Nepal Restaurant. It's a really cute little restaurant owned by 2 brothers from Nepal. They wanted to share their country with others so they opened this restaurant. I ordered Nan and Chicken Tikka Marsala. I didn't realize how SPICY it was! It was a little too hot for me to eat. It was a nice enjoyable meal with new friends! They had this cool singing bowl too they we got to try.

Bess and I enjoying dinner


Danielle and Kelsey

Me with the Singing bowl at the Nepalese Restaurant

After a great dinner we walked around for a bit, checking out shops. We then headed to Bubble Bar to meet up with some other friends, Jac and Jon. They live on the same floor with Danielle and are her co-workers. It was an enjoyable night having fun and getting to know each other!

Around 3:45 am, I decided I was ready to head home. Actually, I was ready for sleep way earlier, but I was having fun so I stayed out. I got in the cab and said "Ilgok-dong Mart&Mart" which is the area I live. He repeated and I thought he understood. Turns out, he didn't. Which began my journey around Gwangju, at 4 am. I kept seeing signs and thinking, I'm not sure why I am headed towards the airport, that is far from me. So I wrote down where I wanted to go. Nope, still didn't understand. He stopped next to another taxi and that driver couldn't help either. Panic set in, I have no phone and no numbers = no help. So, I started getting more and more worried. Thankfully, he went to the police station for help. This is when my fare was REALLY high. Cue the tears and the fare is at 0 (although, to be nice, I did give him money) :) Thankfully I walked in my door at 4:30 am.

I gotta start studying my Korean! Earlier our taxi driver spoke some English, this guy, none at all. I knew I was in for an adventure and that it was. Today, was a super lazy day. I did my laundry and swept my floor a bit. And then I walked down to see the random pirate ship thing at the end of my block. oh Korea, you amaze me. :) Life is good.

To end... a video of Jon and Danielle, only cause I couldn't post it on facebook.


Soon, I'll have some videos of my kinders!

No comments:

Post a Comment