Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting settled

Wow, I can't believe I'm in Korea! It seems like the months have flown by in my anticipation to get here. I had everything pretty much packed by Sunday night. I feel like I packed a lot (well, it was super heavy too, so I guess I did). Danielle and I flew out of BWI, our flight left at 7 am. We were up at 4 am and at the airport at 5. I had to pay $100 for my 3rd bag, oops guess I should have left somethings behind. haha. The flight to San Francisco felt ridiculously long, for being only 6 hours. We hung out for a few hours there before boarding the plane for Incheon. The 2nd flight was 12.5 hours. I tried to sleep as much as possible. I really didn't eat much at all, a pop tart and a little bit of a meal they served (they served more but I didn't eat anything). It was a kind of sucky flight, they played one okay movie (well, only one I was interested in watching) on repeat the entire flight. That's a fail. Once we started descending on Incheon is when it really hit me that I was going to be living here for a year! Excitement, a little bit of nerves and the whole numbness from sitting to long was really hitting me. We got our loads of luggage and followed our directions to get a bus, the nice lady in heels ran around helping us to get the bus before it drove away and let us use her phone. The bus ride was 4 hours long, but it was WAY more comfortable and enjoyable then the plane ride. I pretty much slept the whole way to the bus terminal. Once we got there we waited for our rides. My director and a co-teacher picked me up and we were off to my new home.

They helped me carry my things up to my new bedroom and showed me around the place. Plus showed me how to use things. Lucky for me, my internet worked right away so I was able to let Caley and my mom know I got here safely.

Kitchenette area - to the right is my sink and burners... to the left my washing machine, microwave and fridge

Desk area with my tv

my bed decorated with a few photos

From the front door, looking into the apartment



Bathroom, sink and shower head... yep, its interesting!

So, I got in at like 10:45 last night. My co-teacher gave me an orange and yogurt so I had some breakfast for the morning. I sent a few emails and decided that since it was midnight on the 5th of May, I should get some sleep. Seeing as I have been up since 4 am on the 4th of May. I tossed and turned for an hour and decided to get up and do something. So, I got online a bit and then unpacked. I got a lot unpacked before deciding I should try the sleep thing again. Luckily, I passed out this time. I woke up, after what felt like 10 hours of sleep, to find I had only been asleep for 4 hours. I woke up and ate breakfast (I think I forgot to eat the day before?) And then I went back to sleep for an hour. After which, I woke up, finished unpacking and putting up pictures and then finally showered.

I had to be at work at 1 pm today, so I had plenty of time to relax. I was picked up and taken to school. I followed Dan Teacher around most of the time and Sarah Teacher (the Korean teacher) too. The kids were pretty darn cute and funny. Seriously, I think this will be easier than dealing with the kids at the Y! hahaha. They were all given chances to ask me questions, most couldn't think of things to say. Some kids decided to ask if I had a boyfriend, baby, or was married. Some of the girls told me I have a small face. They also stared a lot. But whateve. haha After the kids left for the evening, the director got us Chinese food. Which was delicious, but she kept trying to make me eat this huge bowl of noodles. The chicken was darn good though. One of these days, I'll eat Korean food! hahaha

Dan and I walked home from school today and he gave me a little tour. I think its going to take me a little bit to find my way around the city. Tomorrow, I have a full day at the school... maybe I'll get some videos of the kinders singing songs, they are so darn cute!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great time! I'm not understanding the bathroom though.. haha is that a pool squeegee-sp? hanging on the wall?? haha

    Miss you tons already! 363 days left??

    ReplyDelete